While driving on Interstate 64, through the rolling hills of southern Indiana, have you noticed in the distance the large, castle-like structure off exit 63 in the quaint little town of Ferdinand, Indiana? The Monastery Immaculate Conception, home to one of the Country’s largest communities of Benedictine women, welcomes visitors to tour their church and learn about their history & way of life.
Below, find 5 reasons to take the detour to see what the “Castle on the Hill” is all about!
- Surround yourself amongst the Angels. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated an Official Project of Save America’s Treasures, take a guided tour of the magnificent domed church that was restored and is home to 89 angels throughout the beautiful church.
- Revitalize your mind, body, and spirit: Take part in a Retreat where you can “unplug” to reflect and nurture your spiritual life.
- Slow Down the Aging Process! The Monastery Bakery, an Indiana Artisan member, is known for their popular Hildegard Cookie, a spice cookie that is said to slow the aging process and “encourage a cheerful countenance.” The bakery has many other products available for purchase in the Monastery Gift Shop, the perfect place to find baptism, wedding, anniversary & other specialty gifts for the loved ones in your life.
- Take time to reflect. Tranquil walkways wind through serene gardens featuring outdoor stations of the cross, a labyrinth and three shines offering opportunities for prayer and meditation.
- Pray.Work. Brew. That is the motto for St. Benedicts Brew Works, a brewery located on the grounds of the Monastery offering delicious craft beer and delectable comfort food to feed the community & our visitors. Pick from the popular beers on tap featuring Sister Betty Blonde, Raising Lazarus IPA, and Dark Souls, just to name a few.
Founded in 1867, the Sisters of Saint Benedict serve the community in a multitude of ways and follow the Benedictine values of prayer, work, hospitality, and community life.
About the Monastery
- Tour Times*call in advance just to be sure 812-367-1411
- Tuesday – Friday 10am, 11am, 1pm, 2pm
- Saturday & Sunday: 1pm & 2pm
- Address: 802 E 10th Ferdinand, IN 47532