Days Until Christmas!
The holiday season is a magical time, and if you find yourself in Southern Indiana, specifically in Dubois County, you’re in for a treat. This picturesque part of the Hoosier State comes alive with festive cheer during Christmas, offering a variety of events and activities for locals and visitors alike. From twinkling lights to heartwarming traditions, Dubois County has it all. In this article, we’ll provide the details on where to experience of some of the most enchanting Christmas events in Dubois County.
Huntingburg Christmas Stroll
November 5-12, 2023
The Huntingburg Christmas Stroll is an annual event that transforms the charming town of Huntingburg into a winter wonderland. The entire community collaborates to decorate storefronts, streets, and parks with beautiful Christmas lights, wreaths, and festive ornaments. Visitors can enjoy horse-drawn carriage rides, hot cocoa, smore’s stations, live music on the streets, and even a visit from Santa Claus himself. It’s a perfect event to kick off the holiday season with family and friends.
Event highlights include:
- Fashion Show (Nov. 5 – tickets required)
- Live Music, Cookies & Cocoa at the Tree Lighting (Nov. 5)
- Horse Drawn Carriage Rides (Nov. 11 & 12)
- Santa visits 4th Street (Nov. 11 & 12)
- Special activities in stores throughout the week
- Cookies + Beer Pairings (Nov. 8 & 9 tickets required)
- Igloo Experience (Nov. 10, 11, 12)
- Holiday Home Tour (Nov. 12 4-8pm)
- SHOP TILL YOU DROP….stores are open until 7pm Mon-Thur. and until 9pm Friday & Saturday. Sunday, enjoy shopping Noon – 5pm!
Introducing your own private, heated igloo during the Christmas Stroll in Huntingburg, Indiana. Select from two private and fully enclosed igloos, each with a unique theme. Each igloo has a small heater for your comfort, but we suggest bundling up if it’s cold. Guest capacity is 6 guests.
Reservations are available Friday through Sunday. Specific times can be found under tickets. These times are based on a maximum of 85 minute time.
Your igloo experience will include a charceuterie board and a variety of non-alcoholic beverages. You may bring your own food and beverages to add to the experience if you like.
November 18-19, 2023
The Ferdinand Christkindlmarkt is a cherished holiday tradition that captures the essence of a European Christmas market while providing a unique American twist. Its history, inviting atmosphere, unique vendors, and culinary delights make it a standout destination during the holiday season. Whether you’re looking for the perfect gift, a festive meal, or simply a warm and welcoming place to get into the holiday spirit, the Ferdinand Christkindlmarkt is an enchanting experience you won’t want to miss.
Event highlights include:
- Christkindlmarkt Eve Opening Ceremonies – Christkindl Angel Appearance Outdoor Ceremony (Fri, Nov. 17, 6:30 pm)
- Reindeer Reserve (Sat, Nov. 18, 11:00 am)
- Marionette Theater (Sat. 12:15, 1:30, 3:30 and Sun. 11:30am and 1:30pm
- Black Forest Organ Grinder
- Tours of the Monastery & Lights on the Grotto
- Free Shuttle Service between Markt Sites
- Glockenspiel Performances & Live Entertainment
- Concert by Evansville Philharmonic Orchestra & Chorus(Sat, Nov. 18, 7 pm at the Monastery Immaculate Conception)
- Mass with German Hymns (Sun, Nov. 19, 10 am)
Small Business Saturday
Jasper O’Tannenbaum Days
December 1-3, 2023
Jasper O’Tannenbaum Days is a beloved tradition that brings the community together to celebrate the magic of Christmas. With its festive lights, joyful parades, and heartwarming activities, it’s an event that captures the true essence of the holiday season. Shoppers will be delighted by the array of fashion boutiques, craft stalls, and local shops offering everything from handcrafted gifts to holiday decorations. This is the perfect opportunity to find that special something for your loved ones and support local businesses.
Event highlights include:
- Shopping in the many Downtown Jasper stores
- Visit with Santa Claus
- FREE Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides
- Church Bazaars & Cookie Walks
- Thyen-Clark Cultural Center Galleries & Workshops
- Festival of Christmas Trees at the Dubois County Museum
Monday, December 4th, Family Roots Nursery is hosting a BIG day offering storewide specials, a variety of workshops and popular food and coffee trucks! Be sure to clear the day and enjoy some holiday shopping and workshops at one of our favorite local shops!
Dubois County Museum Holiday Activities
Explore the German Heritage & Cultural Center to view the Festival of Christmas Tree exhibit beginning November 16th, featuring decorated trees throughout the 50,000 Sq. Ft. museum. See below a schedule of museum holiday activities.
- Nov. 16: 5:30pm – 8:00 Opening of Festival of Christmas Trees. From 6-7:30 the Patoka Valley Strummers will be playing live music.
- Dec. 9: Beginning at 9am enjoy breakfast with Santa (RSVP required)
- Dec. 10: Christmas Storytime at 10:30am
- Dec 9& 10: Cookie Walk
- Dec. 21: Celebrate the Season! Free admission from 5:30-8pm
Live Holiday Performances
The Children’s Center for Dance Education with the Evansville Philharmoic Orchestra will be performing The Nutcracker on December 2 at 3pm (ET) at the Jasper Arts Center.
Live Radio Play
Yes. Virginia, there is a Santa Claus
Dec. 1 & 2 @ 7:30pm – Actors Community Theatre will be performing a live radio play in the Black Box Theater at the Thyen-Clark Cultural Center. This performance is based on one of the most famous editorials ever written by Francis Pharcellus Church, published in the New York Sun in 1897 in a reply to a little girl’s letter asking “Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus”?
A Christmas Carol,
Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, has enchanted audiences the world over with its simple message of Holiday joy. Ebenezer Scrooge, that most unrepentant and miserly of fellows, is made to see the light as he survives a merciless battery of revelations by the ghosts of his own life. Be sure to purchase tickets for this popular performance taking place December 8, 2023 at the Jasper Arts Center.
Holiday Movies at The Astra
Holiday classic movies will be showing at the historic Astra Theater this holiday season!
Saturday, December 16th at 7pm
(Tickets aren’t available yet)
Try your shot to escape at the popular Puzzles & Padlocks Escape Room! Great for company or friend holiday party ideas or an evening activitiy on your weekend getaway to Dubois County! Three rooms are offered with a season Christmas room that you will want to book ASAP!
You won’t want to miss the ice-skate rink setup in beautiful Market Street Park, December 2 & 3. While in the area, stroll historic 4th Street to find the most unique gift ideas for your loved ones this holiday season!
While on 4th Street, stay a bit longer to experience “A Christmas Journey” parade on Saturday, Dec. 2, beginning at 6:30pm at St. Mary’s Catholic Church and ending at Salem United Methodist Church at 7pm with a “Starry Night” performance.
Holland, Indiana also hosts “Still Nacht” (Silent Night) on December 2nd. Enjoy festive music, the tree lighting, a lighted parade with ATVs & Golf Carts & a visit from Santa himself!
Stay With Us!
Dubois County is home to affordable hotel stays for the perfect family vacations, charming bed & breakfasts for romantic weekend getaways and unique airbnb stays!